THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED BUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL REGARDING FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES SIMILAR TO THIS.
Our Client owns, manages and leases unimproved and improved real estate, the improved portion of which currently includes industrial, commercial, residential and public use properties. Industrial properties include two rock quarries, a concrete batch plant, above grade and underground fuel storage tanks, a garage/vehicle maintenance compound, a heliport, a boatyard, offshore moorings, and several light industrial/storage yards. Commercial properties include hotels, restaurants, campgrounds, retail stores, offices, land and ocean based sightseeing operations and other visitor/resident services and recreational amenities such as a country club with golf course and tennis courts and a historic ballroom/movie theater complex0. Residential properties include ground leases for single and multi-family residential developments managed by others, company owned/operated residential projects and for-sale lots. Public use properties include land/building leases for civic functions (e.g., police station, library, City administrative offices) as well as roads, storm drains, flood control basins, sewage systems, potable water and fire flow systems.
Their Design & Development Department has six primary roles within the Company:
- Master Planning – Identify new development opportunities and create asset strategy, develop master plans, budgets and schedules for implementing these opportunities
- Data Management – Organize and manage all planning, design and asset maintenance information in electronic and paper form to support Department and Company needs for easy access to data when needed.
- Design – Facilitate the efficient review and approval of all proposed improvements through professional presentation of design ideas to Senior Management and Ownership.
- Project Management – Primary responsibility for managing the planning, design, entitlement and construction of new resort development projects within schedule, budget and quality parameters.
- Maintenance – Define the Company strategy for each existing real estate asset and implement an efficient maintenance program to achieve that strategy for each asset. Manage the Company’s land vehicle maintenance program.
- Real Estate Development – Prepare business and implementation plans for development of assets that are not part of our Company owned and operated facilities. This includes executing agreements with third-party tenants and development partners for certain retail & dining venues as well as for residential land development opportunities.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES PERFORMED BY THE PROJECT MANAGER (PM)
The PM position will focus on the planning, design and development several Company development priorities. These may include:
- Restaurant Redevelopment
- The Company owns a 200-seat waterfront restaurant that is currently operated by a third-party tenant. The Company is evaluating potential redevelopment options to significantly upgrade the restaurant and is entertaining proposals from outside restaurateurs.
- Work with Company operations team to define Company F&B strategy for this restaurant site, work with third party operator to develop a new program and design for redevelopment of the restaurant.
- Assist in negotiating the new lease.
- For-Sale Residential Project:
- Program & Business Plan: The Company has identified a location for the development of 120 +/- single-family detached home lots overlooking the existing Golf Course. This will be the Company’s first foray into for-sale residential housing. The PM will develop the project program and business plan for internal approval.
- Master Planning: The PM will be responsible for overseeing development of the lotting plan, the new entry road layout and definition of other infrastructure needed to support the development.
- Regulatory: The project will require processing of an EIR to address its impacts. The PM will hire the consulting team and will be responsible for completing the EIR and all other permitting entitlements required.
- Design: The PM will hire third-party consultants to complete infrastructure and finished lot engineering. The PM will coordinate with the Dept of Real Estate to secure a Subdivision Report for the development and will develop architectural design guidelines and CC&R’s to establish standards for the community.
- Construction: Development of the community infrastructure and finished lots will be the responsibility of the PM. Developing the final project budget and schedule, bidding and awarding the construction contract, and overseeing the general contractor’s work through completion.
- Workforce Housing:
- Develop the Company’s strategy for providing future employee housing in multitple Harbors.
- Work with the Company’s operating team to define the housing demand in both locations.
- Develop preliminary site plan and building concept design.
- Process regulatory approvals through the City.
- Identify development/operating partners and negotiate joint venture agreement for development and management of housing project in resort city.
- City Recreational Amenities
- Work with City to define program for development of new City recreational amenities.
- Develop preliminary design parameters for each site.
- Work with City officials to affect the land transfers necessary to support the recreational amenity plan.
The PM will report to the Senior Vice President of Design and Development (SVP). The SVP will set all priorities for the design and development team and will oversee the workload for the team including that of the PM.
The PM role will be based on the Mainland at the Company’s Irvine, CA offices. The Company also maintains offices in on the Island and the PM will be required to travel frequently to the Island to carry out the requirements of the position. However, much of the PM work will be coordinating with Mainland regulatory agencies and project consultants and business partners so the position can be effectively handled from the Mainland with travel to the Island for meetings and coordination. Because of the frequent travel between the Mainland and Island, this position will require someone with an extremely strong work ethic and the discipline to work independently.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: In addition to being able to capably perform the specific job duties listed above, the PM should possess the general knowledge, skill, and/or abilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Four-year degree in planning, design, architecture, engineering or related technical field from an accredited college is required. An MBA or masters in real estate is of great benefit as the position requires a balance of design and business perspectives. Five to ten years’ experience in residential and commercial development project management is preferred.
Successful applicant must be able to concisely summarize complicated issues verbally and in writing. Must be able to discern the most important information and communicate same to management promptly.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Deadline Oriented; Self-Motivated
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience preparing project budgets in Microsoft Excel and project schedules in Microsoft Schedule (or similar) is preferred; being capable in AutoCAD is a help;
- Experience processing CEQA entitlements will be extremely helpful in successfully performing this role.
- Highly developed skills in presenting projects to agency staffs and to agency officials at public hearings
- Team-oriented and collaborative approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and focus on accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize projects
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or tools; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is also required to frequently stand and walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
GILLIAN EXECUTIVE SEARCH is a leader in recruiting for mixed use development, construction and architecture.
CONTACT: Kipp Gillian| 866-600-0437 x 1