DIRECTOR OF PRE-CONSTRUCTION - SAN JOSE, California
REPORTS TO: VP of Preconstruction
The Director of Preconstruction provides leadership and direction by strategically planning, directing and coordinating activities pertaining to residential multifamily projects. Directly manages the pre-construction operations in Northern California. Creates preliminary budgets, tracks and communicates cost changes and categorizes the cost centers, i.e. scope change, design, inflation, etc. Provides value engineering feedback to the owner, performs cost exercises based on owners need to understand building assemblies. Oversees and manages the deliverables to the owner from the General Contractors. Collaborates with the Divisional VP of Construction on pre-construction projects relating to; budgeting, market pricing, historical cost, development scheduling, project durations and site logistics for purposes of proactive forward planning for the project teams.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Management of Staff Functions:
The Associate assigns work, ensures that it is properly allocated, completed in a timely and accurate manner and that it is compliant with project specifications. Prepares annual evaluations for Associates and makes recommendations and determinations for merit increase and year-end bonuses. Works jointly with the VP of Construction to provide resources and support to the project operations to ensure the preconstruction services/knowledge was communicated to the project teams. Works closely with new hires and/or new project teams to educate them on the OUR CLIENT's way of doing business based on OUR CLIENT standard forms, programs and operational standards. Oversees the pre-development/pre-construction process with the owner’s team. Provides training and mentoring to the Project Managers and Engineers during the RFP phase of construction and partners with the OUR CLIENT'S Director of Construction. Provides resources and support as needed, to the overall construction teams of multiple Residential Multi-family projects.
Construction Development Functions:
Creates projected budgets early in the design phase of a project. Coordinates pre-construction planning with design team, contractors and clients. Reviews and approves the phasing and construction plan developed by the OUR CLIENT. Assists in the review and redlining of plans and specifications during the schematic design, design development and construction document phases of pre-construction. Develops timelines and critical path scheduling for initial project start up with VP’s and Directors. Provides leadership to the Project Management teams during the RFP process of a project.
As necessary, works with VP of Construction and Preconstruction on special initiatives, company goals and associate related training and/or programs. Provides input on future projects; assists development on code analysis, constructability, estimating and code compliance. Represents OUR CLIENT in project meetings with clients, the city and design team. Makes decisions and recommendations which greatly impact corporate relationship with Developer or Owner. Strategic Planning; works with upper management to develop long term plans for the organization around the growth and development of construction. Works with development or owner to coordinate the design and specifications on issues. Leads the pre-construction and estimating teams to ensure initial budgeting represents current market pricing, quality reporting. Communicates with project management team, ownership, general and subcontractors, vendors, etc. to provide quality results while protecting OUR CLIENT’s interests. Collaborates with VP’s towards a common goal; streamline the project delivery process, review progress of buy-out, submittals, construction schedule and performance on all projects.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive experience of construction, design, finance and management required.
- Solid knowledge of multi-family building design, construction systems, construction estimating and procurement processes.
- Ability to compile and analyze data.
- Ability to manage personnel, subcontractors, schedules and budgets.
- Extensive ability to mentor and coach personnel.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Project, Excel and Procore.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction or equivalent experience required.
- Management experience required.
- Minimum seven years experience in construction management role.
- Outstanding track record in planning and management of construction renovation.
- Frequent standing, sitting, walking grounds or job-site, stooping, bending, twisting, climbing stairs, driving car, fine hand manipulation (keying/mousing), reaching, simple grasping (answering phone) and occasional lifting or carrying objects of up to 20 lbs. Occasional travel to job sites or to current client or prospective client locations. Exposure to loud noises, high elevations and extreme heat and cold.
- Personal Computer, Printer, iPAD, Fax, Scanner, Copy Machine, Calculator, Shredder, Laminator, Cell Phone, Binders, Paper Cutters, Telephone and Personal Vehicle.
Salary: Mid 100's plus strong Bonus.