ASSISTANT CONTROLLER - multifamily operating company
REPORTS TO: Controller
DEPT: Accounting/Information Technology
LOCATION: Corporate Office, Los Angeles, California
Under the direction of the Controller, and working closely with the Accounting Managers, the Assistant Controller is responsible for the day-to-day management of the accounting department; specifically ensuring that accounting work product is accurate and timely, and that cash is always reconciled. Promote knowledge of and adherence to the Company’s Mission Statement, policies and procedures.
Management is adamant that the candidates must have high level transactional experience, GAAP, third party management and previous supervisory experience of Accounting Managers and financial professionals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a cordial working relationship with the accounting managers and their staff focused on smooth, accurate, and timely operation of the accounting department.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, training, development, inspiration and motivation of the accounting department.
- Provide input and guidance to seasoned managers on process improvements, best practices/results, and the modification and implementation of policy and procedure.
- Independently interact with executive staff, other department managers, site managers, trustees, asset managers, auditors, and CPA’s.
- Provide real estate accounting expertise by reviewing general ledger, accounts payable, and accounts receivable performance/output. Provide positive or negative feedback regarding performance in a timely manner including annual written performance evaluations. Attend monthly meetings with these departments. Assist these managers in the development of their annual goals and objectives.
- Dig into the detail on advanced projects such as asset purchase/sale and financing/capital transactions.
- Abstract loan, partnership, banking, and other legal agreements.
- Educate and enforce, policies, procedures, and best practices
- Review and certify General Ledger Manager’s audit and tax packages.
10. Identify, evaluate, and implement opportunities for automation, improved accuracy, and increased productivity.
11. Review, interpret, analyze, and report on information in Yardi Voyager Property Management software, its supplementary modules, and other workflow integrated software.
12. Provide recommendations to the Controller. Assist in identifying, developing and executing on long term strategic opportunities.
13. Perform duties with a sense of purpose and urgency. Perform other duties as requested by the Controller.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business or greater equivalent experience is required.
- CPA (non-audit) required.
- Possess an advanced understanding of accounting principles such as cash versus accrual versus GAAP financial reporting. Knowledge of fixed asset depreciation and federal taxation rules, and audit experience is required.
- Possess five or more years experience working for a property management and/or real estate development company in an accounting management position.
- Possess a clear command of the English language; both verbal and written.
- Possess significant computerized accounting and software use experience especially in full-cycle general ledger, financial statement, and Microsoft Excel spreadsheet skills. Strong/Advanced Yardi Voyager Property Management operational experience is required such as Account Trees.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- 10 key by touch.
- Experience with Nexus Payables, PropertyBridge, RealPage YieldStar, Yardi Voyager Construction Module, et al.
- California Department of Real Estate Agent’s license.
MACHINES, EQUIPMENT, TOOLS USED:
Computer hardware/software, multi-function printer-copier-scanner-fax, calculator, and telephone.
FSLA STATUS: Exempt
This position primarily performs sedentary office work. It requires some kneeling and bending for access to files. It requires use of computers and telephones. The successful candidate must be able to drive to various property locations as needed and climb stairs when entering offices at other locations. The work occasionally requires lifting 20 pounds or less.
- 90K to 110K plus 10% Bonus and strong benefits WITH CPA
- Client will consider candidates without the CPA certification but the salary range without the certification would be $80-$90k + 10% bonus potential.
Gillian Executive Search, Inc.: Is a leader in multifamily accounting and finance executive search