DIRECTOR OF CONSTRUCTION - Santa Clara County, CA
This position is closed.
Our Client brings expertise in ground up multifamily construction and renovation. An extensive understanding of construction methods enables them to build into each project the most cost-effective solutions for the long-term reduction of property maintenance expenses and repair of existing buildings. This foundation of knowledge and experience is key to understanding the processes needed for the successful renovation of existing buildings; limiting the exposure and creating substantial additional value for the property.
They have built more than 15,000 apartment units in a wide scope of product types in numerous markets and are presently building over 4,000 units.
- Sets annual construction departmental goals, monitors progress and reports monthly
- Facilitate due diligence for new investment pursuits
- Preparation of Physical Needs Assessments, Schematic Estimates, and Bid Packages
- Engage Designers and Coordinate Details & Drawings as necessary ensure contractor has adequate detail to deliver the work activities as intended by owner
- Review Bid Proposals and Recommend vendor based on competitive pricing & overall qualifications to perform the scope of work in the intended manor
- Prepare contract documents and exhibits to effectively communicate the intended scope of work and to establish performance requirements within the overall project plan
- Works with Business Development, Development, Architects, Engineers, and Property Management for completion of plans that meets market demands and cost constraints
- Establishes and manages annual construction division budgets, job budgets and job schedules to ensure they are achieved
- Understands the entire construction process which includes schematic estimates, total project budgeting, monthly draws, bi-monthly inspections, and permission to occupy
- Reviews monthly draws with PM’s, Finance and Development to insure correctness of these draws
- Approves construction invoices and monitors lien waivers and payment to subcontractors and tier subcontractors
- Facilitates positive relationships with regulatory agencies
- Implements construction policies and procedures throughout the department and ensures they are in compliance throughout the Construction Division
- Manages staffing resources and directs construction priorities.
- Reviews and approves all contracts and purchase orders
- Leads weekly construction update meetings and project as necessary to achieve budget, schedule and quality
- Participates in and supervises the recruiting, hiring and training of Construction Project Management and Administrative personnel per budget
- Develops and ensures training is provided for all construction personnel
- Provides employee personnel performance reviews per client company’s standards.
- Provides and reinforces safe working environment and adheres to all OSHA or any other required work requirements
- Dedicated to effectively leading people and managing corporate processes
- Ability to interpret and apply state law, local policy and administrative and building code procedures or requirements
- Ability to compile and analyze data
- Proficiency in working with computers, industry software and other types of technology
- Strong problem solving skills
- Promote strong relationships between contractors, suppliers and client company’s personnel.
- Strong people and leadership skills to coach and mentor with the ability to encourage skills for growth
- Hire, train and supervise Project Managers, Estimating/Purchasing, Oversee management of Project and Administrative personnel
- Must be a self motivated, self managed individual with strong work ethic. Good listener w/ good reasoning skills
- Can establish necessary priority deadlines and accountability for self and others.
- Maintains a positive relationship with Development Clients
- Provides required information for feasibility studies and semi annual pro-forma updates
- Knowledge of Multifamily construction methods and materials
- Knowledge of industry methods of scheduling, contracting, cost reporting, safety, and quality
- Ability to understand the technical aspects of construction
- Ability to recruit, manage, coach, lead and train subordinates
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to be able to effectively communicate with a vast number of people with varying backgrounds
- Skill in negotiating for quality goods and services at a competitive price and delivered on time
- Knowledge of construction estimating and procurement processes
- Knowledge of sound building practices
- Ability and willingness to travel as necessary to perform frequent visual field inspection
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in construction management, building construction, engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of Ten or more year’s construction management experience, with experience in garden apartments, apartments with structured parking, and podium construction
- Experience in managing multiple employees
- Any combination of education and experience to be able to perform the essential duties of the position