Position: Assistant Controller
Department: Accounting – Commercial Property - West Region
Supervisor: Sr. Controller
Division: Newport Beach
Job Summary: Provide exceptional financial reporting, analysis, technical guidance, and overall service level to internal/external management, partners, and other parties for portfolio of 20-25 operating or development real estate assets and/or mezzanine loans housed within various entity structures. Provide effective leadership, management, training, and development of 3-4 senior-level direct reports.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of accounting for all transactions within legal entities assigned, ensuring all transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP and company policies and procedures. This includes detailed preparation/review/analysis of all transactions including purchases, sales, basis allocations, fixed asset transfers, fair market value analyses, forecasting, budgeting, and all other types of financial information/analysis regarding portfolio.
· Monthly review of transactions, supporting documentation, detail general ledger, financial statements, balance sheet analyses, journal entries, and other supporting schedules/calculations prepared by senior accountants.
· Evaluation and practical interpretation of various FASB, FIN, EITF and other GAAP literature/pronouncements.
· Responsible for all project-level internal and external financial reporting deliverables on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis ensuring all deliverables are accurate, timely, and within company policy.
· Review and analyses of various documents including project underwriting models, loan agreements, management agreements, purchase and sale agreements, leases, operating agreements, and various other documents in order to analyze and ensure transactions are recorded properly.
· Analysis/identification/and summarization of accounting issues for new purchases and sales including preparation of accounting memos and other supporting schedules for inclusion in internal approval documents.
· Responsible for monthly project-level forecast and annual project-level business plans.
· Preparation and review of various reports included in monthly corporate flash package including analysis of project-level variances to prior month actual results, forecast, and annual business plan.
· Heavy interface with internal/external managers and partners to resolve project-related accounting issues.
· Coordinate annual third-party audit and tax return preparation for joint ventures requiring such per their operating agreements.
· Assist with annual corporate audit of company financial statements.
· Ensure all SOX 404 processes, procedures and internal controls are adhered to. Participate in annual SOX 404 audit.
· Assist in the evaluation, establishment, and implementation of processes, policies and procedures to improve overall efficiency of the accounting and associated groups.
· Facilitate and enhance communication and relationships with third-party property managers, third-party partners, and internal management.
· Assist in the coordination of special projects related to accounting and reporting systems, as required.
· Provide continued leadership, mentoring, and support to direct reports to create/maintain a positive environment/culture and enhance professional development of staff. Provide annual feedback/review of direct reports.
· Additional responsibilities as required.
Knowledge and Skills:
· Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
· Ability to coordinate and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Self-starter able to work within a fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment.
· Working knowledge of Windows 95-2000, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word.
Education and Experience:
· CPA and 5-6 years of real estate accounting experience.
· Solid knowledge of real estate accounting and GAAP.
· College degree in accounting and management experience required.
· PeopleSoft and/or other ERP system experience preferred